Friday, December 18, 2009

Merry Christmas from our family to yours

....and I should probably include Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Hannukah, and Happy New Year's too, at the rate I'm going. I sat down earlier and wrote a long detailed post about the last few months, only to have it lost. It reminded me why I hadn't blogged in so long. Blogger can get on my nerves :)

So here on the East Coast we're preparing for a big ol' snow storm. It's almost 10:00 pm now and it's still not snowing. I'm waiting... We're stocked up on all the essentials, Gabe's medications are filled and up-to-date, and there's still lots of baking to do. Although I feel like that's all I've done the last few weeks. Bake, clean-up dishes, wash cookie trays, bake again...

We've been busy. The day after Thanksgiving, Gabe caught a bad respiratory bug and had to be hospitalized. It was late Friday evening and Gabe's night nurse arrived to me unable to keep his sats up. I kept bagging and suctioning him, to no avail. The next step was putting him on oxygen, which he NEVER needs. I knew then that something was wrong. In addition to the fact that Gabe was very hypothermic (not unusual for him - but even for him this was low, 93.3). Usually when he is cold, his heart rate will be low, below 70. But on this night, his heart rate was elevated. 130's. This was very alarming to me as well. We called the ambulance because I was afraid to transport him ourselves (which we would normally do). Once Gabe was transported to Children's, he was seen in the ER and transferred up to the PICU - Green. He's never been to the green side before, he has always been on the blue side which is for more severe kids. This made me feel somewhat good. He was given a vague diagnosis of pneumonia. Put on IV antibiotics and oxygen. After a weekend in the PICU catching up with old nurses, doctors and RT's and meeting new ones, he was finally discharged on Monday evening. If you're friends with me on FB you probably already know all this because I updated about it at least once a day.

This week, Gabe returned to Children's for surgery to place ear tubes in both ears. The greatest concern was him going under anesthesia but he did just fine! We were home by late afternoon the same day.

Gabe's been busy going to school, laughing, smiling, cooing, swinging in his swing, standing in his stander, splashing in his bathtub. He actually kicked one of his toys out the other weekend when I was bathing him! He loves the bathtub and truly comes alive in the water. He alternates between splashing up a storm, kicking, pooping in the tub (his new trick) and just laying there sleeping with the most peaceful look on his face.

The girls are busy at school, baking at home with me, coloring, drawing, imagining, creating, hosting picnic with their dolls, playing princesses, watching movies, and playing with friends. Faith was "Mary" in the church Christmas play. She was such a great Mary, she played the part like a pro :) Bringing baby Jesus out, placing him in the manger, and standing there so noble and proud :) Brooke was the big sister watching from the audience. She doesn't like acting or being in front of people, just like her Mom!

Shaun's been busy working, finishing up his EMT-B class (his final exam was on Tuesday!), painting, fixing up and working on projects around the house, playing in the snow with the kids, watching movies with me, and loving on Gabe as usual.

I've been doing the usual. Cooking, cleaning, baking, laundry, dishes (does it ever end?) I complain but I truly love it and wouldn't want it any other way. I've also been putting to use the great new camera Shaun bought me for my birthday in November. A Canon Rebel. I've truly enjoyed taking pics of my family and the few friends who've let me practice on them :)

Sorry for the long hiatus of non-blogging. Thanks for all those who've stopped to check in on our family. I hope you will see in the pictures we have much to be thankful for. We are happy, blessed, loved. We are so undeserving of the grace -- unmerited favor -- that the Lord has bestowed on us. Help me to remember to be thankful in all circumstances. Merry Christmas to all of you!




4 comments:

Alicia said...

Even though I have you on my Blogger dashboard feed (so I get every update) I just checked your blog yesterday to see if you had posted something I had missed. I am glad to see you posted again!!

Beautiful pictures, you ARE truly blessed!!

God Bless you friend! I hope you and your family have a wonderfully beautiful Christmas season!

Hope said...

I'm loving the pictures!! He has the best smile, contagious!! You have a gorgeous family.

I wish your family a wonderful Christmas!!

stitching under oaks said...

Merry Christmas Rachel to you and your entire family. I'm so glad everyone is well...stay warm and enjoy your family for the holidays.

Dana said...

Glad to see you all are doing well. Hope you've survived this winter Blizzard with no power outages and no other problems. Hope it melts soon so we can have a wonderful Chirstmas. Merry Christmas!


"Therefore, once more, I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder. The wisdom of the wise will perish; the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"