Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gabe's story

Since Jen asked and I've been meaning to do a post on Gabe's history, here is his story (the condensed, Carepage version because I'm too lazy to rewrite it and it's been one of those days...)

Gabe was born full-term, 39 weeks, at Frederick Memorial Hospital. I did have placenta previa with this pregnancy and had one scare at 30 weeks... I was briefly admitted to the hospital and got the steriod shots just in case he was born early. However, he was born on September 25, 2006 just as healthy as his 2 older sisters, via C-section, and passed all his newborn screening tests. We brought him home full of joy and excitement.

Gabe suffered from reflux (which his older sister Faith did also as a newborn) and he also caught a cold in November that wouldn't seem to resolve. On Dec. 24, 2006, I took him to Shady Grove Hospital Pediatric ER because of his worsening projectile vomiting and his month-long cold. He was admitted then into their PICU because a chest x-ray detected pneumonia.

Gabe's 'pneumonia' never improved, and he could not be weaned from his oxygen requirement. He was transferred to Children's Hospital on January 5, 2007. After a lung biopsy and other tests, Gabe was diagnosed with Lymphocytic Interstitial Pneumonitis (LIP). Lymphocytes (immune cells) had gone to his lungs to presumably fight an infection, and stayed there. In the middle of January he first 'coded' (went into respiratory distress) from aspirating his formula. He was briefly in the PICU. His LIP caused him to work VERY hard to breathe so he could no longer safely breast-feed. A 'NG Tube' was placed in his nose in February so he could eat.

In addition to his lung disease, Gabe had severe reflux. He couldn't keep ANYTHING down and was failing to thrive. He had a 'Nissin' surgery done to tighten his esophogeal sphincter and prevent him from refluxing. He also got a G-tube directly into his stomach. These surgeries worked.

Gabe still could not seem to get 'well.' Then, in the beginning of March, Gabe contracted sepsis, a blood-stream infection. He was critically ill, coded again and was clinically dead for minutes, but miraculously, he pulled through. It was then discovered that Gabe had SCID's (Severe Combined Immune Deficiency), which is why he kept getting illnesses. He had no immune system. We learned he would need a bone marrow transplant, his only cure.

After 7 days of chemotherapy, on April 24, 2007, Gabe had his bone marrow transplant from an umbilical cord donor. Gabe was not in optimal condition for the transplant but the doctors could wait no longer. It was now or never. The transplant on top of the lung problems was too much for him to handle. Gabe severely coded again. I will never forget his purple fingers and toes that day. Thankfully Gabe pulled through and received his transplant.

Post-transplant, Gabe was extremely sleepy and lethargic. He rarely woke up, but we attributed it to the chemotherapy and transplant. By May 12, we were shaking Gabe to wake him up when his breathing rate would go as low as 9 - 10 breaths/minute! Gabe was transferred back down to the PICU where he went on the ventilator. He completely stopped breathing on his own and slipped into unconciousness. We didn't even realize then that he was in a coma.

After weeks of uncertainties, we were told that Gabe had contracted an infection that must have spread to the brain. The scans showed diffused atrophy... overall brain shrinkage. He was placed on every antibiotic known to man in a race against time - and this infection. He received a tracheostomy in the beginning of June because he couldn't be extubated.

At this point the doctors still weren't sure he was going to ever come back to us. They thought we should let him go.

He has since come out of the coma and is slowly making improvements. He wakes up, smiles, cries, turns towards sounds, and moves his arms and legs. He is currently still breathing through the ventilator. But.... HE MADE IT HOME on August 14, 2007! And he is thriving despite the odds.

Over the last year, we have witnessed a lot of improvements that continue to give us hope for a recovery for Gabe. He is more awake and alert; expressive; interactive; he continues to get stronger each day. We remember his name, the promise God gave us for Gabe (Gabriel means God is our strength, his middle name Josiah means God is our healer).

I don't know why Gabe had to endure those 8 months in the hospital, coding 5 times, struggling to breathe, contracting sepsis, the numerous sticks and pokes at all times of the night, tubes down his throat, wrists cut open, etc, but I know that God can make all things new, and I thank him for giving Gabe another chance at life.

That's his story... a very short version... if you wanted to visit his Carepage and type in GabesSpecialPlace you can read all the entries I wrote from his hospital rooms. Ah, I am so thankful that time is over and our family does have much to be thankful for as we celebrate another Christmas at home together this year.

Blessings to you all and your families!

8 comments:

Faith said...

Wow Rachel. I had no idea! The "m" word gets thrown around a lot in "our circle" but Gabe TRULY is a miracle. How you went through all of that while taking care of your two other children is mind boggling...YOU are a woman on great strength!!

Thanks for sharing your story, now I can really appreciate every step your family takes in this journey!
Hugs,
Jen :)

Alicia said...

Rachel,

I found you through Faith's site and through Jack's site. I have been lurking for a while, looking in on your beautiful family.

Thank you for posting Gabe's story. It really shows what a strong will to live he has as well as how strong his family is for him.

Have a wonderful Merry Christmas!

Alicia

Dana said...

Wow, He is amazing. Look how easy words like esophageal sphincter roll off your tongue. Your awesome as well. WE LOVE CHRISTMAS' at home. Did you like Childrens ? (In DC right).

He's making good progress. :) We need to get together. Do you want to wait till better weather?

BTW---Dr. Cohn has an article about his clinic in Pediatrician (BY HOPKINS) this month. He's also starting a support group I'm helping with if you want to go.

Ann said...

I have to go with the "Wow" factor as well. Gabe and you have fought long and hard over the last two years. No doubt the last two years feel like 20 years in many ways. It is wonderful news that Gabe is making progress and sharing more of himself with you. May Gabe continue to make progress and may you find peace with this life that has been chosen for you.

Lots of love to an amazing mommy.

Ann

Hope said...

Wow, I had no idea he had such a fight. What a miracle he is. Thank you for sharing his story. I admire your strength. You really are amazing.

Please give Gabe a hug from Ava.

Hope

Michelle said...

I'm new here, but now I'll be reading always. Some of the things you write completely mirror my thoughts. Your family will be in my prayers.

Alicia said...

Hey Rachel, me again. I just wanted to answer your question from your comment on my blog about Marissa's diagnosis. Thanks for asking.

We don't have a primary diagnosis so far. We are working on a couple of theories, but they require genetic testing that insurance is kind of a pain about paying for.

Right now she is diagnosed as having "multiple congenital anomalies". This includes: agenesis of the corpus callosum, narrowed left nasal passage, Pierre Robin type lower jaw, dysmorphic cranio-facial features, PDA, tracheomalacia, kidney reflux, and a few more things. Every doc says she has to have a syndrome to tie in all her issues, we just don't have a name yet.

Thanks again for your interest in my little girl.

Blessings,

Alicia

Shaddybear said...

wow! he is a gorgeous lil boy! i was working on my blog, and clicked next blog n it was yours! so sorry that lil angel had 2 go thru so much already :( but he def looks like a fighter! i will keep him, and ur family in my prayers, n hope u all have a wondeful, n safe holiday!
if u wanna check out my blog, its www.shaddybearsinfo.blogspot.com
jus dont want u 2 think im some crazy person leaving comments on random blogs lolol


"Therefore, once more, I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder. The wisdom of the wise will perish; the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"