Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I guess I should give you an update on how Gabe's been doing this summer. Hard to believe summer's come to an end. It has been an eventful summer. I really didn't think it would be, but, with 2 birthdays, a vacation, day trips, the pool, nursing changes, appointments and Brooke starting school, it has been very busy. Ugh, I hate using the term 'busy,' I hate that everyone is always 'busy,' and I wish that life would just slow down sometimes! We have been trying to include Gabe as much as possible in daily life and family outings... but like I've said we have a tendency to only want to take Gabe places where we feel comfortable with being able to take care of him safely and not cause too much of a scene. We are thinking about a Keys game on Monday... do you think we're crazy?

We have had quite a few significant changes with nursing - Lisa and Diane will now be the full-time day nurses and we got a new night nurse, Kofo, who is doing M-F nights. But, we are still in need of a weekend night nurse. Please pray that she would come along.... Kofo came along shortly after I asked you all to pray for a night nurse so thank you!

Gabe went to the beach for the first time this week - one of the beaches at Cunningham Falls - but it was fun nonetheless! It was great not having to drive all the way to O.C. and we had one of the beaches almost completely to ourselves. Unfortunately Gabe didn't like the sand - but what 1 year old does? It was still good to give him the experience.

Brooke starts school tomorrow... Ahh! It will be an adjustment for all of us. Hopefully, though, it will give me some more one-on-one time with the two little ones and Brooke will get to learn and play, her favorite thing to do anyways.

Shaun has been busy with work - running his dad's company and painting whenever he can.

Overall it has been a rewarding summer -- having to face great challenges daily and walk in faith every moment of the day has been changing us, growing us, shaping us. My flaws certainly become more and more apparent to me as time goes on.

We cherish the support we receive from our family and friends - they know how tiring it is, not only physically, but emotionally and mentally - to care for Gabe and still continue to see him in need of a miracle. We keep pushing on towards the finish line knowing that this is all for God's glory. May He find us faithful.

*Gabe sends hugs*
Love,
Rachel

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your updates. You're thought of and prayed for DAILY. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you are getting to go places! I think I have only been to the beach once, so Gabe has me beat!

I wanted to let you know that I am coming to MD for a short trip, Sept 26th-29th, without the kids ;o) If you have any time that weekend, I would love to see you!

Much Love,
Priscilla

Dana said...

HI, I just found your blog off Jack's. We live in the same state. We live in PG county. I have a 3 1/2 year old on a vent. Go to my blog for more info. I can remember being worried about going ANYWHERE for some of the same reasons. It took me a while to take Laneah out and get to the point where I didn't care if she desated in the middle of her brother's piano recital.
Family time is so precious! So people stare when alarms go off. They stare at the tubes anyway right? You are never crazy for trying.
I read your blog from last Labor Day -----It's cool that you got to the beach this year. I read somewhere that kids with trachs should NEVER be around sand. So your already trying NEW things. We tried the beach. Way to Hot for Laneah. :)
I feel your Nurse pains. E-mail me and we can talk agencies and compare stories. Nice to read your blog.
Dana and Laneah

John and Jenna Gensic said...

Thanks for visiting our blog. It's wonderful to hear from others who are in a similar situation. Your son is adorable and he is now on our prayer list.

Jenna and John


"Therefore, once more, I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder. The wisdom of the wise will perish; the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"