Monday, April 19, 2010

The "P" Word

Gabe's been walking a fine line between healthy and sick for the last week and a half. I was going to write a post entitled "walking the line" but, as  I said, it's been a busy few weeks and today Gabe crossed that line anyways... he was diagnosed with pneumonia. :(

It all started last Friday. We were taking Gabe into his pediatrician's office for a round of vaccinations. All week it had been beautiful in Maryland - in the 80's and Gabe was outside for a walk each day. Then on Friday the weather turned and it was barely 60 degrees. It just so happened this day we had to venture out to get Gabe's shots. He struggled that day, as we rode in the car and unloaded to go into the doctor's office, to keep his sats up. He needed suctioning three times and bagging many other times. This is unusual for him when he is healthy; almost always a sure sign that he's getting sick.

Over the weekend he was sleepier than usual. I noticed it especially on Sunday when we had family over, including my two young nephews. The house was buzzing with excitement, noise, and the sound of kids playing. Normally Gabe would be awake and listening and most likely smiling at the sounds he'd hear. However on this day he slept right through it. I should have recognized it as another sign that he was feeling under the weather. I did, I suppose, but it was such a busy day I just figured he needed the rest.

On Monday Gabe went to school and I had to meet him and Lisa there to discuss ordering a new wheelchair/stroller for him. He's outgrown his current one. We got it in the spring of 2008, and in the course of the last two years he has gained 20 lbs! He is just about outgrown the width of the stroller, and while no one could have forseen him gaining 20 lbs. in 2 years, we need something that will give him room to grow. {Side note, the good news is that Gabe has been seeing his nutritionist every three months, and from Dec/09-March/10, he did not gain any weight!!! This is huge for him!} It looks like we are going to have to order a chair that does not fold up, which means we'll need to get a vehicle that has a lift, or adapt our current vehicle. 

On Tuesday Gabe had a very difficult time at school. Lisa essentially bagged him to and from school and there were numerous times during the school day that she almost called us to come get Gabe. When he got home, his temperature was very low, which is not surprising when he gets home from school, but this low of a temp almost always indicates a fever for Gabe (hypothermia instead of fevers). He also did not urinate as usual, in fact he did not really pee until 2:30 am Wednesday. Upon talking to his pulmonologist they did not recommend an antibiotic other than Tobramyacin (inhaled antibiotic through the nebulizer) and encouraged very frequent suctioning and chest percussion to loosen the secretions.

Wednesday - Friday were spent doing just that. I even thought by Friday that his secretions were starting to thin out and we had a great weekend with him. I spent Saturday with him as usual, just love those days of just mommy & Gabe. There were lots of smiles and cuddles. Sunday he enjoyed time with daddy in the morning and then family in the afternoon, downstairs. None of the nurses during this time brought anything to our attention or mentioned anything about his lung sounds or concerns about his lungs.

So this morning when Lisa arrived and listened to his lungs, imagine my surprise when she described how terrible his lungs sounded; almost as if they were filled with fluid. I felt so bad, and was filled with such sadness for my poor little guy. We took him to get a chest x-ray at a local radiology center, and dragged our middle daughter along. After the chest x-ray, which the radiologist described as having a right infiltrate (pnemonia), we loaded up and headed down to the pediatricians office, where Gabe's lungs were listened to, and thankfully, Gabe did not get the green light to the hospital. Instead he is on augmentin with the hopes of a turn-around within 72 hours.

Gabe's pediatrician did make me feel somewhat better when he stated that 20% of pnemonias are inaudible when listening to the lungs with a stethescope. It's only been 5 months since his last pneumonia...  I don't know why he is getting it more frequently. I am praying and hoping for a quick recovery. Please remember Gabe in your prayers. Thank you!!!!!



Look at my sweet baby boy, only about 4-5 months old. I swear he is still that same little baby, and surely 3 years haven't passed since this moment.


9 comments:

stitching under oaks said...

Rachel,
We'll be praying for a quick recovering and total healing for Gabe from this pneumonia. Keep us posted. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thank God he is strong enough that he doesn't have to go to the hospital with this. He is a strong little guy. I am praying for quick healing.
See you later.
Love,
Mom

Peggy said...

Praying for Gabe to have a speedy recovery. Hang in there and keep the faith. We love you.
Love, Peggy

david and heather said...

Poor guy, i was so bummed to hear he has pneumonia :( but like mom said, praise God he doesnt have to go to the hospital. we'll be praying for him - no more pneumonia in Jesus' name!! love you, kisses to gabe xo

Missouri Mommy said...

We will definitely be praying for Gabe. You are a GOOD momma and don't believe otherwise! :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Gabe and Mommy and Daddy have to endure the "H" word (hospital).
Hope for a short stay and that you all will be home at the same time, soon.
Love you,
Mom

Alicia said...

I know I leaving this comment late, but I hope Gabe is better now. We were just dealing with something on a smaller scale with Marissa. I think we caught hers in time before it turned to the "P" word.

Prayers and hugs coming your way....

Hope said...

Praying the meds work fast and he's feeling better in no time!

Dana said...

praying! I think it is also allergy season. It's been bad for me and I don't have allergies or breathing problems. I can only imagine how our kids are struggling.

Hope he feels better soon.


"Therefore, once more, I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder. The wisdom of the wise will perish; the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"