Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas, the stomach bug, and a reminder

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! (I'm sure I won't remember to blog on that holiday either!) Hope your days were filled with joy and peace. We had a BUSY Christmas, almost so much that I wasn't able to stop and cherish the true meaning of that day.

We had plans to go see winter lights on Tuesday night, so we packed the kids up and went there.

Then, Wednesday night (Christmas Eve) we packed everyone up again... including dishes and appetizers... and headed down to Shaun's brother's house. Scott and Kerri have 2 little boys that the girls love playing with so they of course had a good time and it was Gabe's very first time at his Aunt and Uncle's house! He did great! It's just a lot of work to get him there... but well worth it!

On Christmas Day, I was up early (but not as early as I had planned because my wonderful dad who often helps with the night shift if we don't have coverage, stayed until almost 6 am! Usually he leaves at 4:30) and we made the girls wait to bring Gabe downstairs, then we opened gifts. It was so wonderful to see Gabe this year on Christmas, because he was 'awake,' moving around, and I am pretty sure he could sense the excitement of the day. Last year, I recall how NOT there Gabe was. He was hardly communicating last year, so it was neat to see the difference a year has made! After we opened gifts as a family, Shaun went up the girls room to put together their brand-new bunk beds! I manned the fort and opened toys and such. Then my parents and sister and brother-in-law came over, we opened even more gifts, and then we packed up again to go to my grandmother's for Christmas dinner. I can't even tell you how tired we were after unloading and unpacking Gabe on Christmas night. It was a lot of work to take all 3 kids out 3 days in a row, to load, unload, load, and unload again! I could ceratinly relate to Ann's post about her Christmas with Jack. It's not as simple as just throwing the kids in the car to go somewhere. :(

But, Christmas night as I was sitting down to finally relax and check some of my favorite blogs, I was given gentle reminder of how much I have to be thankful for. There is a blog that I follow about a little baby boy in my area who passed away this year from a heart condition. His mother writes about the immense struggles she has been dealing with and all of her heart-wrenching feelings... the over arching question of Why??? As I read her entry about Christmas without her son, I had a hard time relating to those feelings she was expressing, trying to wrap my mind around how it must feel to not have your child in your arms anymore, EVER. Then I realized, This could have been me. This could have been my story, I could have written this entry on this Christmas day. He reminded me.

My Gabe was so close to death so many times. Yet, his life was spared. He is here, he is alive, I can feel his touch and smell his breath. I have him to hold in my arms. Oh why did God let Gabe live and others pass into eternity? I will never understand his overwhelming grace and mercy in Gabe's life. Yet also knowing that we have the hope of eternity!! These precious children whom I have known or met these past two year have passed into glory. I can only imagine how much more spectacular their Christmases are than ours. So for now, another Christmas, another New Year, another day with Gabe. These things I don't take for granted.

Finally, not that this matters after the 'sermon' I wrote up there (sorry!), our whole famly has been afflicted with the stomach bug. Don't know from where or when, but it made it's round through Brooke, Shaun, Faith, me, Gabe, and even my mom. Oh and Gabe's nurse too! Stay away from us! Luckily we are all just-about completely well. Just in time for the new year.

I truly wish you all (whoever you are...) a most blessed 2009.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!! I found your blog via Kristen's photography blog. I loved all your family photos, they were so sweet. It sounds like you had such a special Christmas with your loved ones. I hope 2009 brings lots of wonderful things to your entire family!

Love & Prayers,
Erin

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! xoxo, Faithie

Ann said...

Happy New Year Rachel! I have to tell you that I was hesitant to post my whiney Christmas blog entry because as you point out -- there are many families that would take what I have and all the work involved just to have their child here with them. We'll never know in our earthly life why some children are taken from their parents while others are given life, albeit a life of tremendous challenges. I am reading "The Shack" right now and it definitely causes one to pause and think.

I hope 2009 is a year of continued progress and good health for Gabe and a year of good things for everyone in your family. Thank you for your friendship, I look forward to getting to know you better in the coming year.

Love,
Ann

stitching under oaks said...

glad you're all feeling better...may this be a year filled with God's continued blessings on your family! Happy new year!


"Therefore, once more, I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder. The wisdom of the wise will perish; the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"