Sunday, April 19, 2009

Father's Love

One of my favorite things to hear is Shaun speaking to Gabe. When Shaun comes in the room to see Gabe first thing in the morning, he usually says something like, "How's my number-one son? That's my boy! That's my son!" Even just typing those words brings stinging tears to my eyes because of pride in his voice. Gabe is not up at the plate hitting a home run. He's not kicking a goal in soccer (yet). He is laying in bed, sleeping, smiling, just hanging out and being "Gabe" but, that's his son. Shaun loves Gabe, immensely, unconditionally, to the ends of the earth, because he's his son.

So it is with the love of our Heavenly Father. Isn't that a reassuring thought? He loves us... just because. Even though we may not be particularly outstanding, spectacular or perfect. Even when we feel like we're totally failing in every single area and are actually quite sub-par to even being a good person.

When I was growing up, my parents always told Heather and I how proud they were of us. I didn't really "get" why. Whenever they gave me a card - for my birthday, graduations, etc. - they always wrote, "We love you so much and we are so proud of you." I actually used to kind of scoff at the statement because it seemed kind of generic (sorry Mom and Dad!!!!!!) I love you guys!!!

But I didn't understand why they wrote that and said that until I became a parent myself. Now I get it. I love my children for absolutely no reason except that they are my children. It is such a feeling of overwhelming love and pride, that there aren't even really any words to express it, except...

"I love you so much. I'm so proud of you."

Just because.

.....................................................................................

I am so grateful for Gabe and the lessons I continue to learn from him. Just about every day I feel like our family learns something new.

Thankfulness... When I am tempted to wallow in self-pity and question God as to why Gabe still isn't "healed," He reminds me that 2 years ago Gabe was in a hospital room fighting for his life. Our family was torn apart and I couldn't be with the rest of my family (just as Carla and MckMama are experiencing right now).

Patience... Just yesterday I was moping around at the fact that it was a beautiful day and I couldn't just be watching Brooke, Faith and Gabe running around outside; it makes quite a lot of work lugging Gabe's machines around to get outside and my back has been killing me for the past 5 days. So we were stuck inside on a gorgeous day and I was thinking, "God, why won't you do a miracle in Gabe?" I was reminded once again...Gabe has received healing.

Gabe had a lung disease in early 2007 that caused him a lot of difficulty breathing and he continuously needed extra oxygen - sometimes up to 2 or 3 Liters. Now, he doesn't need oxygen and I fully believe he is healed from the lung disease'

Gabe had no immune system at birth. He had no immunity to fight off sicknesses and a simple cold could very well be life-threatening. Now, Gabe has a fully functioning immune system, thanks to the bone marrow donor, and is able to fight off germs.

Gabe had a terrible disease called pulmonary hypertension. His heart had to work overtime to pump oxygenated blood from his heart to his lungs. Combined with the lung disease, his heart would often walk a fine line between working and giving out, and often times his heart lost. Gabe used to need Nitric Oxide (a gas) to keep his heart working properly and also the Viagra, which helped bring the blood pressure off his heart and down... you know. He has been off Viagra for about 6 weeks now and his heart is pumping away just fine. Thank you God.

That just leaves...his brain. The biggest miracle of them all. We have seen marked improvement, but the dependence on the ventilator and lack of waking up/interacting continues to stare us in the face like a giant.

If Gabe did not have the ventilator, suffice to say our lives would be soooo much easier, as all my other vent moms know :)

With the weather changing and lots of outside activities to do, I am all about taking as many opportunities as possible and trying to "live our lives." It's just, hard. To do simple things, anything. And I feel guilty that as a mother I am not able to give the kind of attention I would like to, to all 3 of my children.

Well I could keep rambling on but am going to go watch Jon and Kate go green...

More thoughts to come later!!!

Good night.

9 comments:

Hope said...

I really love this post. I got teary reading it. You have a gift, the way you write.

Anonymous said...

Your posts are always so good. Gabe looked so good in church yesterday. Love You, girly!! christi

John and Jenna Gensic said...

What a wonderful post. You are absolutely right. God loves us unconditionally, and, in God's eyes, Gabe condition was perfect when he was born, he's perfect now, and he'll be perfect all his life.

Jenna

david and heather said...

i'm gonna echo everyone else...what a good post, when you take time to really articulate your thoughts it is so powerful (don't forget your prophecy!). i love seeing all of Gabe's progress, too. love you all...keep your eyes on Him always.

Alicia said...

Beautiful.

Alicia

Ann said...

It is hard, but you are doing a great job Rachel. So much of getting through each day is just talking ourselves through it. It really helps to articulate your feelings (as you and I both know). Continue to share your thoughts, feelings and journey. Many, many people care about you, Shaun, Gabe and your sweet girls.

Love,
Ann

Unknown said...

Rachel, that was an awesome post! It's amazing to see the work God has done in Gabe and in you guys as well.

I know I have mentioned it to you before, but the way you guys love your children is beautiful! You guys are awesome parents - with pride and love for each of your chilren. You guys are unashamed in your relationship with your children - doing whatever is necessary to even get a smile. =0)

You guys are always in our prayers!!!

Blessings & Love,
Kelly

Dana said...

Beautiful words about your husband. Don't feel guilty our other children get the opportunity to learn empathy, service and love at a younger age. It's a gift to them as well. They will be better people because of Gabe.

Vents are a blessing and a curse.

I that episode of Jon and Kate as well. Don't do what I do Don't compare yourself to her, either. We have our own unique world to deal with.

You are a wonderful mom!

stitching under oaks said...

What a beautiful post. I need to remember that my Heavenly Father loves me just because. Thanks for that Rachel.


"Therefore, once more, I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder. The wisdom of the wise will perish; the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"